MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

E85 stroker, gt3582-r

31K views 132 replies 25 participants last post by  mister3 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to see what I can max out my GT3582-r ported Turbo out at.

Car is at AGP, finishing out the upgraded fuel system, installing a walbro 416, ID2200cc (210 Pounds) injectors, larger return lines etc.

Curious what people think the dyno results will be? Hoping to get some nice numbers out of her. Here is the modlist :) Never ran E85 before... hope it does not let me down :)

E85

2001 5sfe 2.2 stroked 40 over bottom end

Gen2 3sgte head

HKS 264 cams

HKS cam gear

Stroker 5s Crank

Weisco 88mm Piston

Eagle Rods Shotpeened

King Race bearings

MSD 8910 tach adapter, msd 6, and blaster 3 coil

Nology Spark plug wires

GREX oil cooler

GT3582 R Dual ball bearing turbo (ported housing,& anti-surge)

Tial 38mm wastegate

Greddy Trunk Mount intercooler

Greddy type RS BOV

Greddy timing belt

Greddy DP

Greddy Power Extreme Jasma Exhaust 70mm

ATS highflow oil pump

Steel braided A/N turbo return and feed lines

Supra 4inch intake with 6inch X 9inch K&N Filter

6-4 inch velocity stack

WolfKatz Fan shroud with dual SPAL fans

SPAL Pusher Fan for TMIC

Gen3 MAP

Gen3 IAT

Dual Feed Top Feed Fuel Rail

upgraded Return lines

Steel braided lines and A/N fittings

SARD FPR

ID2200cc injectors

ARP Headstuds

Commetic stroker Headgasket

RMR intake manifold

Samco hose kit

Apexi PFC w/ Commander

DataLogit

Greddy type 2 boost controller

Got the Car at Agressive Performance, Sue is taking good care of my baby, there is even another widebody to keep mine company :) they meet in Socal befoer hehehe

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/109131916@N07/13596431243/in/photostream/player/" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Injector Dynamics 2200cc (210 pound) Topfeed injectors

Getting a Walbro 416 installed, Larger Return lines, and Tunning!

Lets guess the HP :) suggestions and comments always welcome! I miss this forum and have not been on it much lately!!! You guys rock!

See less See more
#70 ·
is the Gen4 u mentioned just hypothetical, or is there anyone that is using? are you using racerX 1zz kit? His kit is pretty far from easy, it is a bunch of work to get in compared to a MSD and cost almost 3 times as much, it will out perform it, but I am looking for people experience with these setups so someone can tell me how much better or worse, what trouble they ran into etc....

#71 ·
The 4th gen setup has been talked about but no one has been able to piece a setup together that I know of.

The 1zz is cheaper and easier so it makes more sense. What about it is hard? Besides the wiring which is not that hard you simply bolt the mounting plate for the coils on and then bolt the coils to it.

You don't need the trigger wheel setup ect to run COP but it is a good improvement regardless.

If you want the simplest setup then get a twinfire, thats what Aaron was using to make 830whp on E85 in his car.

#84 ·
#74 · (Edited)
Ya, I don't want to be the test subject for the gen4, That's why I specifically asked for peoples real world experience.

Unless I am missing something, the 1zz kit uses the trigger wheel... http://www.racerxfabrication.com/products/mr2_celica/ignition/1_zz_coil_on_plug.html

And isn't the HKS twin fire pretty much the exact same thing my MSD is?

If Aaron could jump in, his experience with it would be helpful. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but just "guess work" and "this could work if you R&D it" is not really the info I am looking for.

I really want to see what People Have already used, what worked best, and there actual experiences with it. I don't want guess work... ya know ;) That way I can either reorder my MSD components, or upgrade to ___ if it is something that is tried and true.

#79 ·
Like I said, the COP setup can be ran with the stock trigger wheel just fine but a proper trigger wheel is better no matter what of course.

The twin power is much more relible then the MSD, MSD is WELL known for it's issues. Guys usually carry a spare box in the car due to how problem prone they are.

#75 · (Edited)
That's why I keep saying the OP should just try the stock ignition. Unless you are gonna push past 25psi the stock ignition is gonna do fine. It has nothing to do with the amount of power you make it's about the physics of the pressure in the cylinder causing the spark to blowout.

I'm not guessing... I've built 8 500+rwhp 3sgtes, 2 700nrwhp 5sgte and two had stock ignition never had a problem.

#76 ·
Thanks Turbodude, I appreciate that info, I do plan on running more boost then 25psi, depends on what the motor puts out.

What was your setup on each 700hp motor, and what boost where u at?

#81 ·
Turbodude- Thanks for the info. But ya I am pretty sure if I go to tune, and do get spark blow out or anything and only ___ hp... I will have to come back pay again etc to retune with another ignition set up.

Ya wiring is not really am issue, and the twinpower is nice, but I believe it is discontinued, so sourcing one is a pain.

#82 ·
You want a Reliable CDI system that won't fail you? Then the M&W CDI is your answer. I recommend it to anyone running exotics fuels such as E85. I have used all kinds of ignition systems and I prefer the CDI route for many good reasons. Using 1zz coils will get the job done, but with a CDI you will be able to run a bigger gap on your plugs and not have to worry about any voltage fluctuation affecting your spark (which can happen with an inductive system).

#85 ·
well... MSD is gone, diagnosed it is most likely the box that went bad...

I ordered Nodde's COP set up:

1pc Box (Sequential module)
1pc Bracket (for Igniter)
1pc Harness (5-wire Extension & 3-wire Signal harness)
1pc Serial cable (for the Box)
1pc Corrugated tube (Cover for the ignition coils harness)
1pc Crimp tube (for the soldering)
1pc 1-pin female plug (for the OEM power wire)
1pc 5-pin male plug (for the Coils harness)
1pc resistor (for the Tacho meter)
1pc M6 bolt (to mount box to fire wall in trunk compartment)
2pcs M5 bolt & lock washer for igniter (igniter version dependent)
3pcs M4 bolt & lock washer for igniter (igniter version dependent)

4pcs Honda (Denso) CBR600RR Coil (03-09)
Part number: 129700-4510 or J0451

1pc Toyota Supra MK4 Igniter
Part number: 89621-22020 (old number) or 89621-22030 (new number)

1pc Yamaha R1 Coil Harness (04-09)
NOTE: The Earlier 04-06 harness has a big grey connector while the Later 07-09 harness has a big black connector.
The later black plug harness is long enough to route on the exhaust side of the coil plugs,
the earlier grey plug harness does only fit on the intake side of the coil plug as its shorter.

I still need to order Spark plug w/ removable terminal

Any recommendations, I was thinking of these?

Denso Part number: Q22PR-U (copper) ?
or IK22 (iridium 0.4mm tip) ?

Or
BRISK Premium DOR14LGS-T Spark Plug?

#88 ·
#89 ·
FUKC, still waiting on tune, ____ fell behind, the plugs I was given was incorrect. I needed Denso Q22PR-U, and no one has them anywhere... and I need plugs with removable caps, and cant run other with my C.O.P. set up... I hate when crap like this happens and slows down what should have been done months ago... no stop bad luck...

Hopefully I will get the plugs in Thursday or Friday and if no other hiccups happen have my car tuned and ready for the weekend and a few track events and car shows.

Been hating my seat lately, since I got fat...

So pulled my sprint out
20140915_233246 by marley4us1985, on Flickr

And replaced it with a Ev0 2
20140915_202338 by marley4us1985, on Flickr

#90 ·
Well more fail.... my MR2 I think is trying to kill it self....

Oil fitting on my adapter plate ripped out, had to get a new fitting... dumped oil every where on the dyno...

Waited a day got a new fitting, and the oil relocater started to leak some oil too, not really bad, but I wanted to fix it. got a new greddy gasket... now just waiting to go back on the dyno... geeze what a nightmare. Hopefully my luck changes soon...

#91 ·
Well like my luck would have it, now my ____ing Apexi PFC failed on me WTF

my PFC is losing connecting. I tried swapping 2 datalogit's. two cables, and two laptop computers for tuning... and it gets connection then loses it.... We then restarted the ecu back, and now it wont get signal at all...

Anyone know where I can get my apexi unit tested to try to diagnose what is wrong and possibly fix it? or where or who can I go to? I am kinda stuck.... I would like to recoup the cash if it is fixable?

I am putting in a AEM unit now... selling of the stuff I know works, PFC commander, datalogit, etc But the ECU I need repaired if I can or I guess I just take the loss....

#94 ·
My Tuner AGP has a AEM unit, so since that is what he uses most, that and PFC but he does not have one in stock. I am getting a AEM... I need the car for the weekend lol... I am registered at Shukai Car show in SJ....

#97 · (Edited)
Such a freaking nightmare OMG....

I have a Apexi power FC I had modified by ATS for a 93, it worked for years. I just went to do another dyno and my PFC is losing connecting to the laptop. It still has connection with the commander and does not seem to lose connection there at all, but it loses connection with the lap top FC-edit program. I tried swapping 2 datalogit's. two cables, and two laptop computers for tunning... and it gets connection then loses it under idle condition etc.... We then restarted the ecu back, and now it wont get signal at all...

Then tried connecting a AEM unit to my car and it wont power up... tried it on another car and it powered up fine.... WTF

I have no idea why, or what is going on.... Help please!

#98 ·
Most likely the root issue is the same for both. Sounds like an issue with the power or ground someplace. I would start there and make sure the power and ground wires are 100% good.

#100 · (Edited)
That what I am trying to have done... I don't want to swap to AEM unless I have to... But I feel like the problem shouldn't be this complicated, as it is... But I suck at wiring, so maybe I am missing something. And I don't understand why the ECU would do this... I don't know if my PFC is dead, or if it is wiring...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.