MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Modified Support Group #4

57K views 473 replies 24 participants last post by  BryanH 
#1 ·
2012 DC Pro solo is now history....
Overall I could not be any happier with the car. (though driver skill is still something that will need some serious work!) Car performed flawlessly, no issues at all the entire weekend. We didn't find out till Sunday that the shock settings were wayyy off and very different from side to side...ooops! After some adjustments on Sunday afternoon the car felt a lot better and lot more composed in turns and under power. We also ran used tires (rear are three years old) so I really cannot complain at all about placing second this weekend. Here is to hoping our new Fikse wheel (ordered 8 weeks ago, was supposed to be here in 3) will show up before the next big event as we have fresh rubber lined up for those) Front splitter and side skirts are very unfinished, but it's there. The splitter is still too short by about a foot, the car need some lightening but it works and works very well. Jake Namer's car got quite a bit faster, Johns/Chadwick mobile is getting a complete overhaul with single turbo and a lot more power, Carter is super fast as is, SSM is going to be tough this year even without Andy...:O

Here is Tim (walka) taking the car for a spin during the bonus challenge. His first run on the right was downright impressive being his first time in the car with all new setup and cold tires. He red-lit the left side unfortunately and would have won that round if it weren't for that unfortunate incident I am sure (he red-lit by 2 thousands of a second!) ...bummer! Tim is going to be dangerous when he gets his car setup!

My wife Tara driving:

Rear shot with clearly unfinished trunk and engine lid...

See less See more
#458 ·
Mike, that looks great! Did you purchase the housings threaded or made your own?

So very quick recap of this year's nationals. SSM had a huge showing at 32 drivers, I was 6th after day 1 with quite poor driving, second day was a bit better driving (not much though) but rain and cone negated all the positives. It was a mess to say the least, some people got 3 dry runs and some of us on the short end of the stick got only one somewhat dry run... :(
All in all, I could not be happier with the car suspension-wise and the new power. Now to put this all in perspective, I only did a quick tune on the new turbo one day before we left for nats, the turbo was spooling so ridiculously fast and strong I could not control the boost at all. As a last resort I ended up incorporating the bottom port of the BOV to release pressure simultaneously with the wastegate...this was the only way I could go to nats as we really need a new external wastegate in order to properly setup boost control. The car is finally going on a dyno and getting tuned in the spring, can't wait to see what it has.
To continue with all the negatives, our top speed was only 67MHP with the the speed dropping off rapidly after reaching that point, my O2 sesor went bad during the test and tune at nats and I could not get it to rev past 7300 or so rpms. To add insult to injury, we had our shocks rebuilt by Koni on site, two of them ended up being junk and the one we were able to save failed right after we installed it (no compression at all, just rebound) Anyway, with so many things to work out during the winter time I was actually happy to end up in the trophies (with a coned run). It was a good test and tune for us, the car ran flawlessly otherwise. Before we left I ended up removing any and all bumpsteer from the rear of the car and what a difference in putting the power down (at least on left handers due to the blown shock, the car would not settle down on corner entry without compression on right handers)

Anyway, it was great to see Steve (xhead) and Zach Barnes and others at the event, looking forward to next year already!

Here is a quick video of my fastest run on the west course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VZbGLWRv0&list=UU6HUBdpX_1FA1ZsoZ8PoZtw

#459 ·
Bilstein semi-recently released a universal motorsport strut (mainly geared towards rally guys) that I used. It's inverted and comes with the housing and collars. You just have to fabricated your own ears and machine the top stud how you like:
http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/motorsports/universal-motorsports-strut/

I'm definitely need to come out to nationals one of these years... It looks like a blast. But I wouldn't want to take my car without a tow vehicle so it's probably a few years out :)

The rain was crappy... but I think you'll be right up there next year with another year of development in the car!

are you going to stick with the konis?

#461 · (Edited)
I have two questions for the more experienced in these areas. I have always liked my internal wastegates as they are simple and effective. Untill I bought the recent turbo that is. I am in need of a good reliable external wastegate, I'd say 35 to 38mm should be fine. What do you recommend? Also, I am looking at a little 400HP, we are currently running Sard 850's, would this be enough (even if I have to up the pressure and run them at over 90 DC...we are only talking autocross that hitting redline is not something that is done for any extended periods of time. What do you recommend?

#467 ·
Thanks Dan, I know it's a shame there are no smaller wide tires but it is what it is (especially for the front)...:)
Codriver Scott Johns:

Here is a good view of the new front splitter, all of these has been done at nationals over two or three days (design, calculations, fabrication etc) It is a VERY rough sketch of what it's going to be next year. I will be cleaning stuff up, painting, relocating and more, hoping for a much photo friendly car for next year.

Left rear shocks was completely blown at this event, I was amazed at how well the car worked even with such a major flaw. Can't wait to get things fixed for next year and really campaign the car with our new codriver. (Mark Andy)

#469 ·
Thanks Dan, I know it's a shame there are no smaller wide tires but it is what it is (especially for the front)...:)
Codriver Scott Johns:

I knew I shoulda been closer to that cone. I was trying to back-side that last one for the finish, though. Judging by tire contact patches, I'm already on the gas, while Scott is still waiting, lest he launch off into the spectator area. :D

First heat Thursday:

#468 ·
Getting ready for my second run, it just started to rain. We gave up on our last runs as the rain was coming down at that time. We actually started to pack the car and didn't cover them to keep the heat in. After about 5 minutes the rain stopped and we were struggling to get the car to the line for my final run. Cold tires, rain setup on shocks (way soft) and low tire pressures...it was still fun! :)

No pressure right? :)

Photo courtesy of Perry Bennett of Autoxpix.com.

#471 ·
Thanks again for the great work Alex, that is one interesting build. It is a fantastic tool to have at your disposal. As an example, we were struggling with a couple of different handling issues all last last year only to find out that one of the front shocks had a plugged compression orifice (Koni's Deo literally pulled a piece of metal from it) and one of the rears was completely blown. Kong has a trailer at nationals and they always bring a dyne so we were able to get them tested and repaired. Alex, your dyne could have saved us a lot of headaches! :(

In other news, I am slowly starting to work on the car double checking all vitals and replacing all wear parts as we are going to have a very busy season. Here is our preliminary national schedule in case any of you guys are interested in coming out to play with us.

•May 9-10: East Rutherford, N.J. – Met Life Stadium(ProSolo)
•May 30-31: Wilmington, Ohio – Wilmington Airport(ProSolo)
•June 27-28: Toledo, Ohio – Toledo Express Airport (ProSolo)
•July 18-19: Toledo, Ohio – Toledo Express Airport (MatchTour)
•Aug 1-2: Wilmington, Ohio – Wilmington Airport (ProSolo)
•August 8-9: Wilmington, Ohio – Wilmington Airport (National Tour)

Here is where we stand right now:

Both rod and main bearings look fantastic with very minimal wear. Looks like we got our oil pressure situation resolved finally...:)
I was going to replace the clutch disc just as a precaution, it still could have gone another 2 to 3 seasons without needing replacement. I love how easy this car is on parts! In our old altar we'd go through a disc almost each season. The used disc has 3.5 seasons on it and is still in great shape. We'll put a new one in just in case though...

Many more updates to come soon including new deadheaded fuel setup, new throttle body, newly build axles (two sets) external WG etc etc....I'll do my best to post some of the process...

Anyway, what's everybody working on now?

#472 ·
Good stuff! Glad to hear the wear has been minimal and you've discovered the problem with the shocks. Keep it up. :)

Anyway, what's everybody working on now?
I've been wrenching on ST* cars seemingly non stop the past couple of years. No MR2 content, so carry on with your bad selves in this thread. ;)

#473 ·
I've been wrenching on ST* cars seemingly non stop the past couple of years. No MR2 content, so carry on with your bad selves in this thread. ;)
I bet you are loving your newest purchase, looking forward to seeing how much you destroy everybody in that car at the 2015 nationals already, I'll be watching closely! :) And remember, we have a seat for you in the MR2 anytime you want. ;)

#474 ·
Lots of new blood coming to the class this year. I don't think anybody will destroy anybody else. :) It should be competitive! I just hope my 'old' VQ can keep up with the HRs and LSs. :D

I probably can't make Thu/Fri at Nationals this year, so depending on how classes shake out I might have to look for a Tue/Wed ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.