MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAP oversteer! Acr.

30K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Wade1 
#1 ·
#10 ·
That was not snap over steer that was your brother going out on cold tires in a car he wasn't familiar with and spinning out because of getting on full throttle to soon and before the corner straightened out more. Its a simple lack of talent.

True snap over steer is when under corner compression (usually near limit) a bump causes the change is suspension geometry and causes the rear tire to toe out excessively and around you go.

#11 ·
Black2na said:
That was not snap over steer that was your brother going out on cold tires in a car he wasn't familiar with and spinning out because of getting on full throttle to soon and before the corner straightened out more. Its a simple lack of talent.

True snap over steer is when under corner compression (usually near limit) a bump causes the change is suspension geometry and causes the rear tire to toe out excessively and around you go.
Same thing as if you let off throttle mid corner and causes all force to go towards the front and the back end "snapping out"

#13 ·
It's a feel thing. Generally mid engine cars come around faster, will not recover from as deep of a drift angle, and require less input to correct. The last one tends to be the kicker for a lot of people and got your brother. We didn't learn by staying out of the pool, so no harm, no foul. Thanks for sharing.

#17 ·
:thumbup

Ill tell you those volvos are mean drift machines! You can put any engine you want in them. And weight distrub(something, you understand) is 50-50 on the 240 wagon and 51-49 on the sedan.
And they are reliable, and light:) perfect travk car to have fun with.

#16 ·
Ofc, he have never driven the car "hard" before and is used too 4wd.
And he didnt think of the heavy ass :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kpQDteWfOU
This is me, and fyi the car was warm. Had some issues. Just testet and nothing serious time attack lap.
And my lsd is dead :p
You can hear he say "full gass", i dont think i have to translate it ;)
Thats where he is used to floor it. So dont come with that lack of talent bs, i doubt any of us can get in a totally strange car and drive fast.
And spevially the mr2 that steps out hard.

#19 ·
Good drivers definitely can get in a strange car and drive fast...

I find people who only drive FWD/AWD cars always spin my car the first time they drive it. Because they are so used to at corner entry they abruptly lift off the gas and turn in sharply. Also when the rear starts sliding they mash the gas. Both these things are the complete opposite of what you want to do in a MR car.

#20 ·
Good drivers definitely can get in a strange car and drive fast...
Indeed.

It can be a very eye opening experience to go to an EVO school or similar, spend three runs posting your "best" time, and then have the instructor get in your car and without even trying beat your time by a second or two.

#21 ·
That's why they're the instructor! And the fact that they know every little mm on that track. Like trying someone on their home turf without much familiarization. Imagine the feeling my friend had following me home in his SC AW11, yeah mods in place, when he couldn't keep up with me and my bone stock '02 2WD Tacoma. Keep running that track and you'll get those seconds back.
As for the snap over our little devils present us with, even when described to us and shown by someone that knows, it still gets ya! Just cuss and get back at it!

#22 ·
And the fact that they know every little mm on that track.
EVO school is typically an autocross type setting, held at your local clubs location. IE, not a course they have seen before, at least not exactly. Regardless, put them in your car on an autocross course that they have never driven, and they will do the same thing. Yes, knowing the course helps, but that's not a factor in the case I am talking about.

#25 ·
Lift-off/Throttle-off Oversteer and Snap-Oversteer are two different animals completely.

One happens when coming off the throttle too quickly. Weight transfer from rear to front.

The latter happens when the rear of the car has already came around and then it "snaps" back into position, but due to the momentum of it "snapping" back, along with the weight of the engine at the rear, it continues around the other direction. Weight transfer from side to side.

Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.