MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Fire damaged JDM '93 turbo hardtop restoration

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Awesome-X 
#1 · (Edited)
Well... it looks like I've just inherited (in exchange for paying for his motorbike service) a '93 JDM turbo gen 2 from a friend after it sat in a shed for 10 or so years. Here's how the engine bay looked when I started. From what I can see, the fire started down near the alternator, as that's the lowest burned point. I think it propogated to the fuel rail from there, then spread further.

So, I've started stripping...

So far, I think I can get everything needed with the exception of a new gen 2 engine loom. I can't seem to find any for sale on ebay at the moment. :mad: Fingers crossed the ECU isn't fried too. I'm half tempted to try and fix the old engine loom by going on a plug finding spree at the local scrap places, and replacing the burned wire. The entire bit of the loom under the intake manifold is completely burned, along with the part that goes along next to the cambelt top cover. Funnily enough, the TVIS vsv, actuator, and vacuum tank amazingly came off unscathed! :) Either way, Lithia are going to be making some good money out of me! :eek:

I've already managed to get a new rear window, and a new rear window surround from a local scrap yard. I've got a spare boot lid and N/A style engine lid lying around. It's just gen 2 engine parts I need now.

Has anyone got any tips for painting fire damaged panels? I was going to borrow a friend's soda-blaster then go crazy with that right before etch primer and painting.

From what I can see with this car, the fire hasn't actually burned through the paint, more just blackened it, or deposited soot into the paint. If I scrape it with a screwdriver or some scotchbrite, I can see the E-coat below it, still adhered to the steel.

The next step is definitely to get the lump out of the engine bay...

Thoughts?
Bevan

See less See more
#2 ·
It's definitely a car worthy of repair. I'd suggest going gen4, but I'm not sure how being in NZ changes things so it might not be as cheap and easy of a swap as it would be in the US. The harness might even be repaired when converted to the swap harness.

I have a spare set of body and engine harnesses and a ECU from a 91 USDM turbo I could offer relatively cheaply, but shipping would probably be expensive.

Either way, good luck and keep us updated!

#3 ·
Daddylonglegs, the swap is definitely an easy one down this end of the world. However, since the car has been de-registered, I'll need to re-register it which involves a really through going over of the car before they'll let it back on the road. The more standard it is, the higher the chance of it passing.

From what I can see, the chassis is damage free! It's never been in an accident :)

One of the first mods I would be doing on this gen 2, after I manage to re-register it, would be to install a MS3 ecu - this would negate any advantages of going gen 3 / gen 4 anyway from what I understand.

I was going to try and leave this thing as a relatively standard Gen 2 turbo, and use it as a daily driver. For tinkering with, and trying to make big power, I'd much rather do it on my v6 3vz mr2.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok, progress being made slowly... So far, I've got the following in my hands or coming.
-A replacement fuel rail and injectors.
-A replacement throttle body with all the sensors and IAC valve.
-A replacement Gen 2 JDM wiring loom (thanks divinity!).
-A replacement rear window

#5 ·
Well, I pulled the rocker cover, and was expecting to find a mess. The oil fill cap had melted and headed south into the engine. Instead, I found this... certainly put a smile on my face. I've got a spare oil cap off either of the two 3sge engines I have sitting in the garage.

I'll hopefully get the engine out sometime in the next few weeks. I'm strapped for time at the moment, as I'm trying to buy my first house... fun.

Bevan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.