MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Power Steering stop working on my 93' sw20

46K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  GDII 
#1 ·
Just got some problems with my power steering on my 93' mr2. After driving 100meters the P/S turns off. It sometimes goes on and off while driving..
So Thought it might be the electric pump. I replaced it with a new one and stil got the same problem. When I check for error codes my P/S and ABS light start blinking.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

#5 ·
I had the same problem and resolved it using the following instructions :
1. Measure the voltage at both relay contacts (underneath the black cap) with respect to GND with the ignition ON when the power fails. The voltage should read the same (approx. +14V) at both contacts with respect to GND. If there is a voltage difference of approx. 1V or more, the relay is suspect.
2. To confirm it, jump the relay contacts by connecting the black wire (pump side) to the white wire (+12V) and exercise the power steering. If it works, the relay is definitely at fault.
3. Turn car ON then OFF 20 times the ignition without starting engine as Jim recommended or keep the contacts jumped as suggested at www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-knowledge-base/mr2-mk2.html?kbartid=112 or change the relay.

Good luck!

#6 ·
I had a similar problem. Sometime it would work, sometimes it never - No PS light came on instrument cluster.
I change virtually all the usual items be no luck. Turns out in the indicator stalks there is a sensor which turns off the pump if no movement is recorded ina given time. I replaced the whole indicator stalks and now working again :smile:

#12 ·
Hi all, sorry to bump an old thread but I just ran into this problem with my 93 MR2 as well. I've read several options to resolve the issue, including the on/off method, and bridging the two wires on the relay - effectively bypassing the relay. I am considering doing the second method, but before I do I wanted to ask what the actual intended purpose of the relay is? What differences will I notice in driving if I bypass the relay? I haven't been able to find information on this as of yet

#13 ·
I just wanted to thank those who published this info, because it just worked for me. My 93 had started acting up with the P/S light and no power steering last fall before I put it away as well as my first couple rides this spring. When I tried turning it on 30 times without starting this morning, the power steering worked fine and life is good.

#15 ·
My MR2 went into "sport mode" and lost power steering and p/s light was on all day. Cut car off and came back 10 minutes later and now it works. I didn't clean any contacts or anything. I actually didn't mind not having it since my MK1 didn't have PS of course?, so I was used to it.

#16 ·
My issue is more along the lines of the thread I have posted a link to.
http://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-na-turbo/357375-p-steering-diagnostic-codes.html

As Jim knows I have had a crazy time getting my P/S to work in the mornings, but works with no issues after driving it for a bit.
Does need to be turned off, to reset ECU.
Diagnostic P/S code 13.
Turn ign on and you can feel the pump start, then cuts with P/S light coming up on dash.
Changed relay, bridged relay, cleaned all socket contacts. Checked brushes in pump motor. Did try hooking up ECUs from Gen2. Did a few other things, all failed.
I have had help from the guys on our NZ MR2 Owners club. But all has failed so far.
The other day I got my hands on both computers and a pump, so today I will try the computers.
As for changing out the pump that will have to wait til I can get someone else to do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.