MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Affordable Flex Fuel Sensor

73K views 135 replies 37 participants last post by  sonicboom141 
#1 ·
I was going to purchase the Haltech Flex Fuel Sensor to use with my Haltech PS1000, but through some searching found that they are just rebranding an OEM sensor and marking the price up. I found that Dynosty is also selling this OEM sensor without the Haltech sticker for $199 (compared to $232 from Haltech).

Through a little more searching, I found the sensor is actually made by Continental and is used in some of the newer GM and Holden vehicles.. and can be ordered from any GM dealership for MUCH less than Haltech.

The only obstacle after obtaining the sensor through a GM dealer is getting the connector for it. Haltech charges $38 for the connector and terminals, Dynosty will sell you the same thing, but marked up to $50. I contacted Continental and was able to get their source for the connector. However, the connector is not available in small quantities. I did find another connector that works if you remove two tabs from the sensor side (I found that Haltech does this also).

Here are before and after pictures of removing the tabs:

The new connector (that costs less than $2) fits great.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here is the information you need to buy all this.

From www.gmpartsdirect.com (or any wholesale GM website):

Flex Fuel Sensor QTY:1, part# 13577394 $66.00

From www.mouser.com:

Delphi GT 150 series connector QTY:1, part # 13519047 $1.62

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...QhJFWuicCtCHDk/8jxfTMkyt7SU/140kptxhQ7bBCuQ==

Delphi GT 150 series Terminals QTY:3, Gold part# 15326427 $0.41 each Tin part# 15326264 $0.10 each

Gold: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...SG9clZMsOvO0ah0FzvLpTM%2bJtQajKVhDug8tP/pDA==

Tin: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...eMQ0isUnDdXIsv%2bb1BwDgiAG9YbcbyVIffguW7slw==

Delphi Loose Cable Seal QTY:3, part# 15366021 $0.06 each

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Nz6WTu0dj6Uco2wKDqNG7kPbMWsiQzrySnouuUftWjA==

TOTAL: $68.10 (before shipping)

Here is the part# for an adapter to run a 6AN to the quick disconnect lines on the sensor:

Russell 6AN to 3/8 in Hard Tube Push-on EFI Fitting - Part# 640853 $15-$20

Reactions: Celica GTE
#3 ·
That's a standard GM connector. So if you got the sensor from Haltech or any other source, you would know just by the connector that it's from GM.

I have a bunch of the GM connectors lying around. The expensive part is the GM crimper, which was stolen from me.

#10 ·
Wow, very impressive. Lets just hope that GM doesn't catch on like so many other parts and jack the price way up.

That makes flex fuel a no brainier if the ECU supports it.

#13 ·
Eric6 said:
So currently you'll still need something that can read frequency to output a viable signal for typical oldschool ECUs (AEM)... correct? I cant have an input as Hz as far as I know.
IIRC scarecrow posted a diagram that will convert PWM to volts. It might also work for this. If not I am sure there is something out there that can do that.

#14 ·
I'm having somebody test this sensor for me on a Hydra. The missing bit in all the wonderful information posted here is: what is the exact pinout of the sensor. Looking into the sensor-side connector with the fins pointing up just as in the pictures shown above, which of the pins from left to right are power, ground and signal?

#18 ·
I think it's hilarious when people spout off about "you get what you pay for" and then pay 4x the list price for something just because they haven't bothered to look for it somewhere other than a vendor.

I frakking love threads like this. I'd probably get banned if I pointed out some of the markups vendors use.

#20 ·
Received this message from GMPARTSDIRECT today: Part Number 13577394: Back Ordered (Thank you for your order, Part number 13577394 currently on back-order with GM and GM does not have an ETA for the part to be released off back-order. We can cancel this part from your order or we can continue to wait for the part to arrive to us and ship the order at that time.

#21 ·
I had to wait a couple weeks for mine to come in. I ordered on November 17th and didn't get it until December 2nd. I didn't get a backorder notification though. Hopefully you won't have any problems.

#23 ·
scarecrowX said:
I think it's hilarious when people spout off about "you get what you pay for" and then pay 4x the list price for something just because they haven't bothered to look for it somewhere other than a vendor.

I frakking love threads like this. I'd probably get banned if I pointed out some of the markups vendors use.
DO IT you won't banned. If you wanna pm me I will. Heck I think I'll make a thread tittle alternative part number for rip-off parts lol. ;)

#25 ·
jose rosario said:
DO IT you won't banned. If you wanna pm me I will. Heck I think I'll make a thread tittle alternative part number for rip-off parts lol. ;)
agreed!

but no matter how much you show people a less costly alternative they WILL buy the higher cost parts knowing the same thing for less is available.... i just don't understand it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.