MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper [NO thanks] LFA Engine in MR2

20K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  mr2_mike 
#1 ·
The title says it all guys LFA engine swap. Thoughts ?

#12 ·
CapoArgentino said:
This forum seems to be all about these threads lol. Ima post a new thread talking about swapping in a Ferrari F430 engine in a MK1. It really makes us MR2 owners look like small children. Ridiculous.
Do you take everything in life so serious, or just the interwebz?

I don't believe the LFA motor is 'smaller in every dimension' than the V6. Total bore diameter alone is over 17 inches, and a 2GR from bellhousing to crank pulley is ~19 inches. Displacement is a dimension too.

#13 ·
pablo said:
Do you take everything in life so serious, or just the interwebz?

I don't believe the LFA motor is 'smaller in every dimension' than the V6. Total bore diameter alone is over 17 inches, and a 2GR from bellhousing to crank pulley is ~19 inches. Displacement is a dimension too.
I enjoy reading threads of subjects that are possible, something that is doable for the non-millionaire. Unless he is a millionaire, then Im subscribed! :smile:

Otherwise its a thread that serves no purpose in a otherwise respectable V8 sub-forum with MR2 owners that actually PERFORMED the swap. Not dreamers like this.

#14 · (Edited)
pablo said:
Agreed. Yeah, it WEIGHS less than the 2GR-FSE, but is physically more compact than their UR V8s due to the 72* V-bank angle versus the V8's 90* (especially the 5.0L 2UR-GSE and 5.7L 3UR-FE).

I think people get those confused.

#23 · (Edited)
CapoArgentino said:
I enjoy reading threads of subjects that are possible, something that is doable for the non-millionaire. Unless he is a millionaire, then Im subscribed! :smile:

Otherwise its a thread that serves no purpose in a otherwise respectable V8 sub-forum with MR2 owners that actually PERFORMED the swap. Not dreamers like this.
Good points. But...
If these dreamers don't dream it up then things always stay the same. When we first spoke about putting a V8 into a MR2, it and I were seriously poo-poo'ed by the membership here. Many of the extremely knowledgeable stated it could not be done at all.

Then one cold evening in November 2003 this happened...

#24 ·
Yeah except that's a transverse engine going in a car meant for transverse engines ^^^. Using an engine/drivetrain out of transverse based car will make the swap easier, no matter v8, v10, v12.

Now if you could get a strong transaxle mated to that lfa engine, that would be great, but it's going to cost quite a bit, and you owning an mr2 most likely means you don't have anywhere close to that amount of money, for the engine, or the drivetrain.

If you have strong fabrication skills, the sky is the limit, you could mount an engine out of a longitudinal fwd based car, along with the transmission and axles. I believe some Audi's have that setup.

#25 ·
demetri01ws6 said:
Yeah except that's a transverse engine going in a car meant for transverse engines ^^^. Using an engine/drivetrain out of transverse based car will make the swap easier, no matter v8, v10, v12.

Now if you could get a strong transaxle mated to that lfa engine, that would be great, but it's going to cost quite a bit, and you owning an mr2 most likely means you don't have anywhere close to that amount of money, for the engine, or the drivetrain.

If you have strong fabrication skills, the sky is the limit, you could mount an engine out of a longitudinal fwd based car, along with the transmission and axles. I believe some Audi's have that setup.
If you're swapping in a LFA engine, the cost of the transaxle probably isn't too much of a concern.

#26 ·
Anything is possible. If it doesn't physically fit, the body can be widened/enlarged to accommodate it. Imagine a wide-body mk1 by splitting the body in half and adding some sheet metal, custom windshield and rear glass, etc. Or the same but to lengthen the wheelbase. It can all be done. But for the amount of work, etc who would do it? I understand the V6 and V8 MR2s, etc because they used engines that probably cost at most $2000 (Not sure how much the Northstar V8 2nd hand cost but may not be much more than that, even less maybe) but a $90k engine? Like said, if you have the means, power to you but i doubt you do :D Plus rich folks are not playing with MR2s and if they are, they are playing with ultra low mileage, original condition (MINT) examples that they keep in their personal collection, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.