Jekyl beats Hyde! - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
MR2 Owners Club Message Board

Go Back   MR2 Owners Club Message Board > Racers Forum > Road Racing

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)

Old September 16th, 2006, 22:13   #1
sab0276

OldTrader Rating: (7)
Jekyl beats Hyde!

Jeff let me use Jekyl for the Weatherly Hillclimb this weekend. On my first run I ran a 74 and Jeff ran 76!
But he promptly beat me and by the third run he had almost a 10 second lead on me.

Will report more tomorrow.

-Scott
sab0276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 22:56   #2
JJ

OldTrader Rating: (26)
Cool...but why not your car?

JJ
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2006, 23:03   #3
David Hawkins
Master of Twos R Us
click here to visit the sponsor page

OldTrader Rating: (453)
Scott's turbo crapped out on him.

If you find a lower price on anything we carry, please give us the chance to match or beat that price before taking your business outside the MR2 community!
David Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:05   #4
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

OldTrader Rating: (154)
... funny how Scott forgot to mention that the course was soaked when we got there and all I needed to do to win the PHA SM2 Championship was drive to the top of the hill at least once. Considering it was wet and I was on a completely new tire/rom/suspension set up, I literally drove to the top of the hill.

... funny how I was only 1 second off his "trying" pace

Bill Miller, the insanely fast ITE driver in the AWD twin-turbo Audi is racing 2 cars this weekend. He's racaing his Audi in ITE and he is also racing his turbo 944 in SM2!
A friend of his is also racing the 944T in SM2.

I was in 3rd after the first runs (when I just drove up). I was in second after our second run and I took first on our third run and have been consistently stretching out my lead.

Bill is down to 64.3 in the 944T and he ran a monster 57.4 in the Audi (ITE record is 57.3). His friend is down to the 66s.

Scott has a battle going on with the "Great Pumpkin" Fiero in CSP.

... we'll see how today goes.

My 'team' at the hillclimbs is currently in first place for the team championships; however, they give huge bonus points for making every event which we did not. It looks like we will take up 2nd place and bring home a little bit of cash
Old September 17th, 2006, 21:14   #5
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

... what a day ... I'll let Scott post an update when he gets home.

I'll only say that both Jekyl and Hyde went of course today.
As you all know, there is no run off for going "off course" at a hillclimb
Old September 17th, 2006, 21:32   #6
TD06TRD

OldTrader Rating: (23)
You guys are freaking nuts. I find road racing on a track freaky. I dont think I could compete well in the mountains because of my fear.
TD06TRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:50   #7
sab0276

Both cars went off course and both cars were driven home under their own power.

I had been going into turn 1 bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd and just lifting (no braking) as I turn in and then quickly get back on the gas. I figured by the end of the day I could do it without lifiting.

On the 3rd run of the day, we had just put in a new K&N filter so it was making a little bit more power (the old filter was rusted and just nasty) and I stayed on the gas longer. It looks like I did the line correctly, but because of the additional speed I tracked out farther. Normally this wouldn't have been a problem because there was plenty of road, but there is a crown in the road and the road was still a little wet there when I had thought it was dry. As I crested over the crown I began to lose traction in the rear and it started to slide out on me. I countersteered, but then it really came around. I think because the tires hit the wet center line and lost traction again. I narrowly missed a hay bail as I cought it and think I would have eventually saved it from there, but I ran out of road as it was sliding, and the driver's side rear wheel hit the curb. This sent the rear swinging around the other way again and I narrowly missed another hay bail as I cought it again, before finally coming to a stop.
BTW, the hay bails are put in front of things you don't want to hit, like large rocks, trees, or poles.

I was very afraid that I had messed up the rear of Jeff's car, but as I got out I was actually happy to see that it was only the rim that had any damage. The good news was that these were my rims and tires, so I hadn't damaged Jeff's car at all, just my stuff. The bad news is that these were my lightweight SSR Comps that they don't make any more.

Kevin (Kupop) happens to live on the hill, so he gladly loaned us a set of his rear wheels, and we were able to drive the car home without any problems.
In fact I probably could have finished the event without missing any runs, but it would have been pointless since I probably wouldn't have been able to go any faster on his street tires.
All in all, I feel very lucky with the outcome as it could have been much worse.

I'll post a video of the incident later.

Jeff's off wasn't nearly as dramatic as mine, but his run was. I let him tell that story though.

I can't thank Jeff and Kevin enough. Jeff was totally patient and understanding about the incident, and pretty much just joked about it and teased me the rest of the day (and for days to come I'm sure).
Kevin has been such a tremendous help at all of the events that I have been to with him.

-Scott

Last edited by sab0276; September 18th, 2006 at 11:25.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:01   #8
sab0276

Video is up here.
http://www.dtmotorsports.com/~sbarton/WeatherlyCurb.wmv

-Scott
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:20   #9
David Hawkins
Master of Twos R Us
click here to visit the sponsor page

OldTrader Rating: (453)
It was driver's side, right? I thought you had gone all the way around after reading your post. The ever slower replay is kind of excruciating to watch..'ooooooooooh noooooooooooo'

Glad no one was hurt and the damage was relatively minor.

If you find a lower price on anything we carry, please give us the chance to match or beat that price before taking your business outside the MR2 community!
David Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:26   #10
sab0276

Oops, yes, driver's side wheel. I updated my post.

-Scott
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:31   #11
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

Scott ... no worries ... "carp happens"

Linda has photos here:
http://pahillclimb.org/coppermine/th...s.php?album=30

You can see a nice series of the VW doing sort of the same thing as Scott did, but a MUCH worse line and a MUCH worse resolution.

The Vette in the first photos just spun in turn #2 and the e-brake would not hold the car so they backed it up the hill. That's why it is "parked" like that.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:42   #12
ReVision

OldTrader Rating: (41)
Looks like you guys had quite a weekend.What happened with Hyde going off course?
ReVision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2006, 13:02   #13
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

Weatherly is the only 1-mile hill that Hyde has not broken the 1-minute mark.
Last fall Hyde set the SM2 record at 60.07 seconds. We had 2 runs left to do, but I parked the car. Weatherly at 60 seconds was plenty to get me on edge and I felt safer calling it a day. I knew the new engine was going over the winter and figured breaking the 60 second mark in the Spring would be easy.

Unfortunately, the Spring was damp and no one set great times. We finally got a clean, dry almost warm track for the last run of the day and Hyde went 60.295.

... so I have been dying ot get back to Weatherly to take another stab at that 60-second barrier.

Unfortunately Saturda ywas wet again. I "drove" to the top on my first run to make sure I got a time for hte weekend. I went 75 seconds. The next run was a little spunkier and I went 71.

That's about when I realized there was a red 944 turbo in my group that I have never seen before. There were 2 drivers and I went over, poked my head in the car to say hello and I almost fell over when I saw who was driving.

It was Bill Miller. Who is he? He's the insanely fast driver of that ITE Audi twinturbo monster. He possesses all of the key ingredients of a great hillclimber: driving skill, ability to set up a car, and a willingness to driver 10/10ths risking the car.

If there is one hillclimber I would fear, it's the one that is more than willing to wreck the car. There are few of those on the hills and they tend to be extremely fast and have tended to bend a few fenders or worse. I am not one to be willing to wreck the car.

I'll only give times for Bill since his co-driver was doing his first hillclimb and his times, lthough respectable, stayed well behind us. By run #4 on Saturday I was down to a 61.66. Bill was in the 63s.

On our last run on Sat, I decided to play gearing games again. I did the entire hill in 2nd gear. Typically there are 3 places I go for 3rd gear so this effectively took down from 5 shifts to ONE! The top of Hyde's 2nd gear is 80 mph and to do a 60-second 1-mile run you just need to average 60 mph so ...
On that last run I went 60.6.

I went home feeling very confident in a win. Bill tied the ITE record at 57 seconds in his Audi (he was running both cars) and he was around 63 in his Porsche so I figured he must be near the limits of the car.

When we arrived Sunday morning I was surprised that Bill went 62.0 on his last run Saturday after we had left. That cut my 3 second lead down to 1.4 seconds and I suddenly felt a bit more nervous.

I started experimenting with all sorts of things on Sunday and I ran:
60.7, 60.5 and 60.6. I just could not get own farther. The Porsche was running 62s all over the place, but when I ran 60.6 he went 60.4. He caught me and passed me by a .1.

The gauntelet was thrown down.

So now I am dealing with forgetting about the magic minute mark and figuring out where I can just get .2 of second to get my lead back and it appeared we were only going to get one more run.

As I sat at the starting line, Bill drove by and said smiling, "Are you ready to go for it?" I just nodded back and turned toward the hill and started thinking.
If I could just brake less for turn #1 and carry more speed, that owuld have to be easily be a tenth or two.

So I charged into turn one at 100+ mph, started to brake and forced my self off the brake much sooner than I would normally feel comfortable and Hyde had the slightest slide into 1 and kept going! Downshift for turn 2 and I kept from completely lighting up the tires coming out of 2. I was having problems all week of leaving huge smoking burnouts out of turns 2 and 4.

I did turn 3, 'the wall' pretty well without losing too much momentum, had a bit of tire spin out of 4 and I appraoched turn 5, 'the jump' ... nailed that and as the suspension settled, I was faced with the long curve the leads to the finish. Many people have told me I could go WOT through there and I have never had the courage to do it.

I can't explain how scary a long, bumpy, left hander on top of a mountaincan be at 100 mph. I tend to float on the throttle and try to just squeezes bits of acceration in there where my cahoonahs (sp?) will let me, but I tend to be a chicken up through there.

This time was different, I came off the jump and slid it into third and just started a steady, strong squeeze on throttle as I started to attack the inside of this long curve at full speed. My mind kept saying over and over again, ... the car can do this ... there's plenty of road to track out if you need it ... the car can do this ... there's plenty of road to track out if you need it ...

To my amazment, Hyde held that friggin road at those speeds over those bumps without as much as a hiccup. It scared the living hell out of me and was the most exciting few seconds of racing I have ever had until ...

... I crossed the finish line.

The Weatherly finish is quite scary. The finish is at the end of the curve, there is barely enough of what you might call a "straight" and you immediately have to attack a downhill left hander. I say "attack" because, although you are passed the finish line, you need to settle car and plant it into this turn to keep yourself safe. I am always fearful/respectful of the Weatherly finish.

I generally jump on the brakes really hard for the split second of "straight" that we have and then jump on the throttle to plant the car for the turn.

Well, this time I came blasting through there at a much higher speed than I have ever done before. Jumping on the brakes definitely unsettled the car a bit more than I was used to and I was on them a tad to long and had to start the turning motion which sent the rearend out and I started tank-slapping just like Scott did ... I got the car straightened out after 4 pendulum swings of the rear of the car, but I was pointing a god 2-3 feet to the left of the apex of the left turn I was in. ... do the math, and there is no road there.

I'm not exactly sure what I drove through but I went right through it
I suspect is was just grass/small rocks/stones/smalbushes ... whatever.
The important thing is there wasn;t anything hard or unsettling there and the "off" was basically drama free except for how my insides felt.

I got to "turn around" and parked the car. A few minutes later, Bill in the Porsche got to the top of the hill. As he got out of his car, he was laughing and looked at me and said, "Man, you are too fun!"

I was like, what are you talking about?

He said, "You just went 58.7 seconds!"

I can't believe it. Hyde destroyed the previous SM2 record and won SM2 for the 12th straight hillclimb in a row. Hyde destroyed the magic minute mark whiel skipping right over the 59s.

I also scared the hell out of myself. I'm honestly not sure that I ever want to go 58 at Weatherly again. I am super-impressed on how Hyde handled.

Hyde's ability is obviously lightyears beyond my courage. I'm okay with that.

In the ITE class, Bill destroyed the previous 57.3 record with a blistering 56 run in his Audi.

That wraps up the hillcimb series.
Hyde won the Championship for SM2 at the hills and also the NEPA SCCA Solo2 championships!
Old September 18th, 2006, 13:09   #14
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Scott, did you notice the rock/walnut that landed on Jekyl's windshield RIGHT when you stopped?!

Where did that come from?
Old September 18th, 2006, 13:29   #15
sab0276

We were hoping to be able to get 2 first place trophies for Jekyl and Hyde Racing this weekend. And we almost did too.

It was a close race for me in CSP, but I was beating the 'Great Pumpkin' Fiero. On my last run on Saturday, I was only 1/100 off is fastest time ever (he's been doing this hill for 5 years), but at this event he was 2/10's behind me. On what was supposed to be the last run of the day he knocked another .1 second off, but was still behind me. Unfortunately for me, they decided to run another run at the last minute. This gave him the opportunity for one last chance. He really went for it this time and was able to beat me and his fastest time ever.

I know that there was plenty of time left for me to find, and I know I could have gotten another second or two if I had finished the last 3 or 4 runs (on my tires).

Oh well, Jekyl and Hyde takes 1-2 (well actually 2nd and 1st respectively ). Maybe next year; that is if Jeff is brave enough to let me drive his car again.

-Scott

Last edited by sab0276; September 18th, 2006 at 13:36.
Old September 18th, 2006, 13:53   #16
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

Scott, I have no doubt that you would have picked up another second in the afternoon.
The road become so much warmer and stickier and your learning curve would have gone through the roof.

Scott's times were, in order:
DNF
Old September 18th, 2006, 13:56   #17
sab0276

Cool, thanks Jeff.

Needs to be updated --> http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/hillclimb.htm

Old September 18th, 2006, 13:56   #18
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab0276
Already is
JekylandHyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 18th, 2006, 15:42   #19
JekylandHyde
Smiles for Everyone

To put a 58.7 second run into perspective, in the spring this car posted a best time of 58.7:

This car had FTD with a 55.8:
Old September 18th, 2006, 16:19   #20
ReVision

OldTrader Rating: (41)
Whoa,those cars are like go karts with big engines!
ReVision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.