MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Gen3 CA smog

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  L0s7 
#1 ·
Hey,
I just wanted to ask and see if anybody was able to pass a smog with gen3 in CA? Stock gen3 engine, not top mount turbo or aftermarket blow off valve. Stock without EGR. To pass the proper way. I assume not but just curious.
Thank you.

#2 ·
I would be interested in this as well. I know there are some members who passed a Gen2 on Gen3 electronics. My guess is based on the thoroughness of the visual (EGR) you may/may not pass...? I'm still new to CA so not totally familiar with smog here. Just had my car smogged but I can't recall if they tested the EGR or just looked at it.

I vaguely recall CRW being able to tap/place EGR's on Gen3's from reading around (but not totally sure), so that might be an option?

#3 ·
Those that have gotten by visual inspection have usually passed the sniff test provided they have a good cat installed. For extra insurance you can put 1.5-2gal of E85 in a full tank- it should reduce NOX due to cooler burn and won't change (even marginally improve) HC and NO. However, the gen3 runs fairly lean up til around 4kRPM, so I strongly recommend NOT driving hard until that tank has been burned and refilled with regular pump gas. Particularly with the JDM ecu which runs quite a lot of timing. My data logging with UK parts was kind of worrisome enough.

There are a couple roadblocks to adding EGR aside from just drilling. But it is possible if you're serious enough:
1) As far as I know, the JDM ECU has a small hardware difference on the PCB due to not being setup for EGR. The ROM code presumably doesn't contain the code to operate it, nor does the wiring harness have the connector to plug it in.
2) The gen3 manifold is physically different. The relative angles between both ends of the mating surfaces for EGR is the same, however the distance is shorter than the gen2. If you bolted on the gen2 EGR to a drilled gen3, you'll overshoot the threads in the side of the manifold by quite a bit.
3) The UK gear for the above is not falling out of trees

#4 ·
I know several ppl in Sac that drilled and attached EGR from the gen2 onto their gen3. Smogged and passed. Then they block off EGR after to get some HP back. I planned to do the same, however, I won't actually drill but only attach it to pass visual.

#6 ·
If going this route, true drilling isn't even necessary. The head has the 2x M8x1.25 holes drilled and tapped for the exhaust pipe, the manifold does not. Simply mock the pipe up on the head and punch (with a transfer punch) your drill spots on the side of manifold for the mounting screws, not the exhaust pass through hole. Drill to ~22mm depth, and tap to bottom with an M8x1.25 tap. Get 2x M8x1.25x20mm screws and bolt it on. It'd be silly to drill the head and manifold for the exhaust gas passages if you don't even have the ability to operate the EGR anyway.

#5 ·
CRW is able to do a EGR on a GEN3. It's fairly complicated as L0s7 has stated and isn't very cheap. But, being able to pass emissions to me is certainly worth not only not having to pay someone to "pass" but also having the peace of mind of being able to do so. Then again I had several test stations simply refuse me simply because my Gen2 (stock except for an eBay SMIC) has silicone intake hoses on it.

#8 ·
the gen3 is not legal in CA at all.

most smog techs don't know the difference between gen2 or 3 so they can pass the visual. have seen some smog techs pass without EGR (lazy/sloppy techs) and when EGR is added it really makes the process smoother.

in CA there are 3 different smog zones (can look on DMV website to find out)
1) smog whem you buy or sell, no bi annual testing
2) 2 speed tailpipe test (doesn't go on the dyno) *checks EGR functionality
3) enhanced area = dyno smog, they do not test EGR just make sure it's there and hooked up correctly

**some smog techs assume the EGR is under the manifold and blow it off, others will want to rack the car to verify it's there or send you to the BAR. EGR can be added and made to be functional (popular misconception is that EGR hinders performance) so it will pass visual and functional tests no problem

#9 ·
Here are my smog results:

~9.4:1 SCR
Gen4 block
Gen3 head
5S crank
CP pistons, Swaintech coated, 0.035-0.038" piston to head clearance
BC Rods
2x 3rd gen 3SGE cams (252 deg, 9.8mm lift)
Billet 21b with ceramic coated turbine

ST205 UK ECU

I drilled the head and manifold for EGR, added the wiring and connector to the harness. It is fully functional

Code:
2016		CO2 %	O2 %		HC			CO			NO	
	RPM	MEAS	MEAS	MAX	AVG	MEAS	MAX	AVG	MEAS	MAX	AVG	MEAS
15mph	1761	12.9	2.86	83	37	15	0.53	0.13	0	799	176	246
25mph	1906	13.23	2.31	65	28	13	0.44	0.1	0	738	151	197

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.